Even though it may appear that the New York City area does not have as many pests as do locations farther south, there are still plenty of creatures that can find their way into your home.
The list below covers most of the common pests that find their way into homes in Staten Island, NY and the surrounding areas. Each of these creatures can be potentially bothersome to have around in large numbers, and some of them are harmful to you, your home, and your pets.
- Subterranean Termites – These wood-munching creatures make homes in the wooden sections of your house just above the foundation. Their signature mud tunnels are often obvious as they run up from the ground.
- Carpenter Ants – Carpenter ants are very common in Staten Island, NY and they are known for doing damage to property. Although they don’t actually eat wood, they burrow into it to make their nests.
- Cockroaches – These pests are similar in appearance to fat crickets, and they multiply very rapidly. They are well known for spreading bacteria, and can be difficult to get rid of after they have settled into a house.
- Bed Bugs – These small oval bugs are parasitic and they feed off of sleeping humans, dogs, or cats. They are notorious for plaguing public places such as hotels.
- Spiders – While most spiders are harmless, many homeowners simply don’t want them inside their homes. Spiders commonly found in New York are the wolf spider, jumping spider, the orb web spider, and occasionally the brown recluse and black widow. They are difficult to remove and this task should be left to professionals.
- Mosquitoes – Mosquitoes are often seen as nuisances that can be ignored, but they are known for transmitting diseases, and can be a serious problem in large enough numbers. A Staten Island exterminator can help teach you how to minimize the mosquito population in your area.
- Bees and Wasps – New York is home to a wide variety of bees and wasps, and they generally aren’t a problem until they build large nests on the sides of homes. At that point, it is time to call in a Staten Island exterminator to take care of the problem for you.
We Treat them All
Our Fillmore Pest Control team members are experts in treating each of the pests on the list above. Years of experience and training give us the ability to treat such a wide range of pests effectively. If you are interested in a quote, or in learning more about our services, contact us today. Our staff is friendly and helpful, and they will provide the service that you need quickly and efficiently.